Financial Support and Assistance

Financial assistance may be available for consumers experiencing financial difficulty in paying their utility invoices. Below is a list of agencies who can help.

Alberta Seniors - Special Needs Assistance Program

Toll Free: 1-877-644-9992 Edmonton: 780-644-9992

  • Utility arrears coverage available for each utility (water, electricity and gas) once every three years.
  • Applicant must be a utility account owner and have a disconnection notice in their name from the utility company.

Alberta Seniors and Housing - Direct to Tenant Rent Supplement Program

Edmonton:780-422-0122 Calgary:403-297-7453 Toll-Free Alberta 310-0000

  • A subsidy paid directly to an eligible tenant to assist with their rental cost.
  • Applicant must meet the 2014 Core Need Income Thresholds and citizenship requirements.
  • Priority for assistance will be based on assisting those in greatest need first.

Alberta Works or Alberta Supports

Phone: 1-877-644-9992

  • Emergency needs allowance
  • One-time utility assistance with disconnection notice (may assist second time but requires repayment).
  • Deposits/reconnection fees are assessed separately.
  • View a list of Alberta Supports offices in Alberta.

Aspen Family and Community Network - Calgary

Phone: 403-219-3477

  • Home Stay Prevention Program for families housed, but at imminent risk of homelessness as a result of pending eviction due to rental and/or utility arrears.
  • Families are required to complete a screening process and meet specific programme criteria.

Bissell Centre - Community Bridge Program - Edmonton

  • The Community Bridge Program provides individuals who have received a disconnection notice, access to funds to pay overdue utility bills, support to negotiate with their landlord/utility company and assistance to find and apply for any benefits or grants they may be eligible for.
  • Applies to Edmonton residents only.
  • Online application is required.

Bow West Community Resource Centre - Calgary

Bowness office : 403-216-5346 Ranchlands office: 403-374-0448

  • BowWest works with people who live in northwest Calgary, connecting individuals and families in need with support, referrals and educational programs.

Canadian Forces Personnel Assistance Fund - Financial Distress Program

Phone: 1-888-753-9828

  • Provides assistance through grants and loans to serving and former Canadian Forces personnel when warranted by distress or other qualifying circumstances.

Care Connect Christian Society - Calgary (No website available.)

Phone: 403-264-2636 - Leave voice message for call back.

  • Provides undesignated temporary financial assistance.

Calgary Urban Project Society (CUPS) - Calgary

Phone: 403-221-8780

  • Assists with utilities payments
  • A disconnection notice, 90 days' worth of bank statements, two pieces of ID, and a proof of income required

Community LINKS – Lethbridge and surrounding area

Phone: 403-328-5465

  • Community LINKS provides Information on various agencies available in the Lethbridge area, with this information aimed either towards assisting individuals directly, or by providing up to date information on resources to other community agencies.

Community Warmth Program - Medicine Hat

Phone: 403-529-8111

  • Low income individuals, families, and seniors who are unable to pay for their City of Medicine Hat utility bill due to financial hardship or crisis may receive support from the program once a year.

CTV Good Neighbour Fund – Edmonton

Phone: 780-486-9215

  • Provides limited financial resources to individuals not covered by other assistance in Edmonton and Northern Alberta.
  • Applicant must provide utility bills or disconnection notice.
  • One-time application; deadline is the last day of each month.
  • Download the application form online.

Sunrise Community Link - Calgary

Phone: 403-204-8280

  • The Basic Needs Fund is an emergency financial assistance fund, intended to help people out of unforeseen crisis. The fund can be used to pay for rent arrears, utility arrears, damage deposit or first months rent when moving to a new premise.

Veterans Affairs – Canada

Phone: 1-866-522-2122

  • Benevolent fund for emergency financial assistance for active and retired veterans.
  • Application forms are on website.

211 Alberta - Edmonton, Calgary and Wood Buffalo

Phone: 211

  • Community support information line. Contact to find what emergency grants are available in your region.

Money Mentors - for Credit Counseling

Phone: 1-888-294-0076

  • We are offering FREE Financial Needs Assessments by phone or through video chat across Alberta.
Have a question about a plan or need help placing an order?

Call us: 1-866-374-6299

Hours: 7:00am - 9:00pm MST (Monday-Friday), 8:00am - 4:30pm MST (Saturday),
Closed Sundays

To enroll, you will need:

  •   To be the person named on the utility account
  •   Your service address
  •   Your billing address (if different)
  •   Your contact details including email address
  •   To be over the age of 18